Sunday, November 8, 2009

DimDim

Hello USMEPC512 classmates,

After seeing Skype in action during class last week, I discovered DimDim - played with it, staged a video conference with a colleague and decided to set myself up with a "free for 20, forever" account. Because I am not a Skype user I don't know how they compare. From what I have seen so far I think DimDim is pretty slick and could definitely be used for educational purposes.

:: In addition to basic video conferencing DimDim let's you use, collaborate, and safe shared whiteboards and websites with those you invite. You can change meeting settings enabling meeting participants to open, alternate or fix control over the shared meeting media. I'm not sure if Skype offers these features.
:: DimDim's marketing approach is very clever - refer DimDim to a friend and you get an additional, free seat at the DimDim meeting table.

At some point I should figure out why my colleague (and her students) could see me but I could not see them on my DimDim meeting screen. Perhaps this 2-way video stream is a upgrade feature for which I would have to pay. If you have used DimDim perhaps you can shed some light on this.
Janny

4 comments:

  1. 2 way video chat is a paid feature. It comes with Dimdim Pro ($25/mth) and also allows 4x larger video among a bunch of other additional features. You can try Dimdim Pro for 30 days just by clicking the little "Try" button after you sign in to Dimdim. And paid customers can actually make money for referring friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "And paid customers can actually make money for referring friends"?? Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Janny,

    Would you be interested in checking out Mikogo desktop sharing? With it you can share any of your screen contents and applications live over the Web with up to 10 others. You can also use whiteboard to highlight any screen contents you like. You can find more features of Mikogo, such as remote keyboard/mouse control, on our website: http://www.mikogo.com.

    Please drop by our site for more info. Or feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

    Hsiang-Yi Cheng
    The Mikogo Team
    Twitter: @Mikogo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janny,
    Thank you for sharing an alternative to Skype. Though I use Skype weekly, I am not 100% satisfied with the experience. To be honest, I hadn't thought to chase down a competitor. DimDim opens up my world to other possibilities!

    ReplyDelete